- This event has passed.
WHC: Bird-Safe Glass and Native Grass Webinar
February 16, 2022 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm CST
Bird-Safe Glass and Native Grass: Why Avian Projects Aren’t Just About Nest Boxes
Register for the webinar here.
Nest boxes have become a common sight on corporate lands around the world, providing cavity-nesting songbirds a safe place to raise their young. Given the wide range of challenges that birds encounter, however, it is important to consider the many other ways that companies can take action. From planting native vegetation to spreading the word about birds’ needs, conservation teams in any location have a variety of opportunities to provide habitat for birds and mitigate the threats that they regularly face.
In this webinar, experts from the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center and avian advocates from the corporate world will explore various tactics for supporting native birds. Whether your site has a long-running nest box project but wants to do more, or you’re just beginning to research conservation options, the speakers will provide ideas to get your team thinking outside the nest box.
What you’ll learn:
- Common threats to native birds and how to address them
- Ideas for creating or enhancing avian habitat on a wide range of corporate lands
- How to incorporate bird-friendly design elements into new and existing buildings
- Tactics for teaching others about avian conservation
Who should take this webinar:
- Conservation teams that wish to create or enhance on-site habitat for birds
- Anyone interested in supporting native birds via changes to their site’s purchasing or property management practices
- Dr. Ruth Bennett, Research Ecologist, Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center
- Kirstin Hill, Bird Friendly Program Manager, Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center
- Paul Messing, Test Lead, General Motors
- Kim Morse-Harvey, Tech Specialist, General Motors