Energy and transportation lands play a vital role in conserving monarch habitat across the U.S., as noted in the ‘all hands on deck’ paper (Thogmartin et al. 2017). By enrolling in the Monarch CCAA, energy companies and transportation organizations voluntarily commit to implement conservation measures on a portion of their managed lands.
Certificates of Inclusion Issued to Date
What is the timeline for enrollment?
The Monarch CCAA enrollment period is divided into four phases, as shown below. The early enrollment period provided an opportunity for energy companies and transportation agencies to make conservation commitments that would be considered by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) during their listing decision. On December 15, 2020, the USFWS announced that the monarch is warranted but precluded for listing, which means that it is now a candidate species. The USFWS anticipates issuing a proposed rule in 2024, but will re-evaluate the status of the species each year. The CCAA remains open for enrollment until future effective listing date (typically 12 months after the proposed rule). All applications must be submitted prior to the effective listing date in order to be eligible to enroll in the CCAA.
But don’t wait! Enrollment into the Monarch CCAA provides a number of immediate benefits, your conservation commitments will:
- Provide much needed habitat to the monarch butterfly and could potentially influence the listing decision
- Provide immediate regulatory certainty to your organization and avoid potential gaps in regulatory coverage in the event the monarch is listed sooner than expected
- Demonstrate your organization’s leadership in monarch conservation
- Build momentum across the industry for habitat conservation on energy and transportation lands
- Ensure the success of this unique, cross-sector partnership
For more information about implementing the CCAA at your organization, watch a tutorial on how to log in and navigate to the Monarch CCAA Toolkit under Working Group Access. Have questions? Contact us below.